The Big Fella, Greg Monroe from Georgetown, came to visit the Jazz for a workout today. Monroe was the first prospect to start off the Pre-Draft Festivities for the Jazz off-season. It's fitting that Monroe visited first and foremost, since Monroe is probably the Jazz's primary target for the upcoming draft on June 24th.
It would be great to have a shot at drafting Monroe, however, I believe he'll move ahead of the Jazz's drafting spot come June 24th. He'll get heavy attention from teams such as Sacramento, Golden State, and Detroit. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he could drop to #9. Though, I'm not expecting it. If we want him, we'll have to trade up.
It's getting tough to put together a Draft Big Board for the upcoming draft in 3 weeks. There are a lot of quality players who are about the same (talent-wise), yet won't be stars. In some ways, I wish we could pick two players in the 1st Round so we could fill in holes for a post player and a swingman. Quality role/rotation players abound in this draft.
Here's my best guess at our current Big Board...
I think Wall, Turner, Favors, Cousins, WJohnson, and Aminu will be gone before the Jazz pick. Monroe will have a chance to be there.
1. Greg Monroe - Like Hansbrough and Hibbert in years past... we want him. He won't be there.
2. Luke Babbitt - Jazzman... shooter, scorer, passer, southpaw.
3. Cole Aldrich - Defense and rebounding. All things we need. Ready to contribute.
4. Gordon Hayward - Winner. Terrific playmaker, ballhandler, passer and team-player.
5. Ekpe Udoh - Could be higher on our board. Provides length and shotblocking.
6. Ed Davis - Best athlete of the big men. Not the most polished or ready. Could be higher on our draft board.
7. Patrick Patterson - Great character guy. Fits our style to a "T". Could be a solid Millsap back-up.
8. Hassan Whiteside - Boom or bust. This is who we pick if we shoot for the stars. Incredible length, size, & shotblocking. Jazz probably aren't that risky. Not ready to contribute.
9. Xavier Henry - Great talent and shooter. Underwhelming freshman year. Could rise our board, yet I believe the Jazz will like Babbitt and Hayward better.
10. Paul George - Terrific size and athleticism. Raw talent.
I wouldn't be disappointed in any of these players. In fact, I'd hope to draft a couple of them. Go Jazz!