Thursday, October 1, 2009

Expensive Jazz

Is our team elite enough to warrant spending so much money? Ross Siler from the Salt Lake Tribune put together a nice piece about the expensive payroll we'll be having for this season. $94 Million is boatload of dough. Is it worth it?

"I want the Millers to make the best decision they can," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. "I'm kind of caught in no-man's land with that. I want the players here to play. I appreciate [the Millers'] support in trying to keep players.

"I've always felt like it's important to keep players together, give them a chance to know each other. Your young guys get better as you go along. That's how you have a chance to build a team that's competitive."

"What I want to do is have a very good basketball team and be an elite team," O'Connor said. "I can't go past that."
"We control our own fate next year, we didn't this year."

3 comments:

Pasty Gangsta said...

No way. We'll have a decent squad but not $94 million worth. That can't last through the trade deadline. . . too much luxury tax.

Orlando said...

The team is way overpriced, but it's not our fault. Other than AK's deal, nothing on the Jazz is ridiculous (I'm assuming that Harpring gets insurance money). Other than that huge error, most of the salaries are within reason.

I just don't think the pieces mesh particularly well.

torrey ellis said...

As I looked back on the TCG predictions before last season, I see that the Jazz were picked 1,2, or 3 by everyone and we have the same team coming back. So if we don't have the injuries and have key guys playing for a contract why can't we live up to the potential we all thought they had last year. And as HoF Coach Jerry Solan puts it keeping a team toghether is very important.

We have the 6th highest payroll in the league and I could easily argue we are at least the 6th best team. Other than the Lakers there is not another team that scares me.

Go Jazz!!!!!!